Click to View Post Navigation
- Workout to Tone Triceps and Firm Sagging Skin Under the Arms
Workout to Tone Triceps and Firm Sagging Skin Under the Arms
As a she ages, the flesh under a woman’s arms loses firmness because the tricep muscles lose tone (unless she’s been doing exercises to prevent it). Of course, since this loss in firmness is gradual, most women usually don’t notice it until they’re middle-aged, which is when they awaken one morning, glance in a mirror, and recoil in horror from the sight of all that sagging, jiggling flesh under their arms, not to mention the total absence of tone and shape in their upper arms.
This appalling metamorphosis, however, does not occur overnight, nor is it the inevitable result of the passage of time. It is simply the result of a lack of exercise. It isn’t too late, though, for any woman, regardless of her age, to regain youthful looking arms, not if she’s willing to devote only three days a week to a simple exercise regimen.
Soreness is Natural When Beginning a New Workout Routine
When a woman begins a new workout routine, she invariably experiences soreness. However, as Dr. Joyce L. Vedal explains, “This soreness is caused by microscopic tears in the connecting tissue and in the muscles themselves.” These tears, though, are not detrimental but “a prerequisite to muscle growth, toning, and development.” In fact, soreness is a sure sign that the exercise is working. (Portugues & Vedal, p. 20)
Then again, according to Arnold Schwarzenegger, in order to prevent serious injury, anyone who works out with weights should always use slow, deliberate movements and avoid flinging the weights around. Even if no injury occurs, such movements will negate the effectiveness of the exercises.
Three-Day Workout Schedule for Firming and Toning Arms
On a three-day-a-week exercise routine, women choose the days they wish to workout, as long as they skip a day between each session. For example, they might workout on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, or they might workout on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. They should not ever workout on two consecutive days, though, since a day of rest is imperative between workouts so muscles will have time to repair.
Shoulder Presses to Tone Triceps and Firm Sagging Underarm Skin
The tricep muscle is the one on the back of the arm, extending from the shoulder down to the elbow, and when this muscle loses tone, the result is unsightly sagging flesh underneath the arm (the kind that jiggles when a woman raises her arm to point). An excellent exercise to firm and tighten the tricep muscle, as well as strengthen shoulders, is the shoulder press. In order to perform this exercise:
- Sit on an inflatable exercise ball (stability ball) or else a sturdy chair.
- Keeping back straight, hold dumbbells at shoulder height, with palms facing forward.
- Slowly lift dumbbells straight up until they’re overhead.
- Pause for a count of 5 seconds.
- Slowly lower weights back to shoulder level.
- Repeat for 10 to 15 reps. (Yeager)
Note: In order to prevent possible injury, avoid arching the back. (Schwarzenegger)
One-arm Kickbacks to Tone Triceps and Firm and Shape Arms
For this exercise, a workout bench is necessary, although a makeshift bench can be fashioned by propping an ironing board between two sturdy chairs. It’s also suggested that women begin with three-pound dumbbells then progress to five-pound weights once they’re become accustomed to the exercise and their triceps have become stronger, which might take up to two weeks.
- With right hand flat on the bench, place right leg on the bench, bending it at the knee.
- Hold dumbbell in the left hand.
- Keeping left elbow close to the waist area and left leg straight, hold the dumbbell with palms facing body,
- Keeping elbow close to the body, slowly extend left arm out and behind.
- Hold for a count of five seconds.
- Slowly return to starting position.
- Repeat for 10 to 15 reps.
- Move to the other side of the bench.
- Put left hand flat on the bench, place left leg on the bench, and repeat the sequence using the right arm.
In summary, there are several other exercises that women should do in order to tone their triceps and, in the process, firm sagging skin, including chest presses, flyes, and tricep extensions, but if they learn to perform the two exercises above correctly, women will begin to see a noticeable improvement in the appearance of their arms within a matter of weeks.